now that the blizzard is passed, what are you going to do with all that extra bread and milk you bought?
a wise man named jose once said “when life gives you extra bread and milk – make bread pudding “ and based on the empty bread and milk aisles at stop and shop there’s a a bunch of people out there with a lot of extra bread and milk. well those folks are in luck because here’s the recipe for jose’s warm bread pudding with n’awlins sugared bourbon sauce.
Jose’s Bread Pudding with N’awlins sugared bourbon sauce
Step one: prepare bread and milk soak
- 3lbs bread (French, etc) chopped into small pieces
- Combine into bowl with 1 gallon of milk, let soak
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
Step two: prepare the rest of the mixture
While bread is soaking, mix this stuff up in a separate bowl:
- 20 whole eggs
- 5 cups of sugar
- 1 tbl spoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tablespoon vanilla
Then add all that to the soaking bread. Mix that all up and set aside.
Step three: prepare the pans.
- find two hotel pans or pyrex baking dishes that fit on top of each other. The pan with mixture should be able to fit over/inside pan containing the water.
- Add 1/4 inch of water to bottom pan
- Coat bottom and sides of top pan with butter, then add the bread mixture to the coated pan.
- Place pan containing the mixture into/over the pan containing the 1/4 inch of water.
- Place both into oven at 350 for 2-2 1/2 hours until golden brown on top.
- while that cooks it’s time to…
Step four: prepare the Sugared Bourbon Sauce
- ratio of 1 cup sugar to 1 egg (depending on amount you need)
- Mix together in bowl
- Place bowl over boiling pot of water to cook. stir regularly.
- once uniform consistency is achieved remove from heat.
- Then add desired bourbon. stir and taste
- if necessary, add some more bourbon.stir and taste
- okay stop, that’s enough bourbon. okay fine, take a small sip/wee dram for yourself.
Step Five: time to eat!
- Cut warm bread pudding into squares,
- Drizzle sauce over top and serve.
- serves about 30 so invite the neighbors over.